As we approach cold and flu season please review the excerpt below from the 2019-2020 WASD Elementary Handbook.
Students will be sent home from school for:
1. Fever over 100 degrees F
4. Head lice - student must be lice and nit free prior to returning to school
5. Rash of unknown cause - rash letter will be sent home to be filled out by a doctor
When to keep your child home from school and when they may return:
1. Fever over 100 degrees F- can return after fever free for 12-24 hours without fever-reducing medication
2. Pink eye - can return after 24 hours of treatment or as directed by provider
3. Vomiting & Diarrhea - can return after symptoms have resolved for approximately 12 hours and student can keep food down.
4. Strep Throat- can return after 24 hours of antibiotics or as directed by provider
5. Rashes - after diagnosed as non-contagious by physician or as directed by physician
6. Ringworm - Must stay home until treatment has been started or if the lesion cannot be covered. If on the scalp, child should remain home until 24 hours after treatment has been started. Any child with ringworm should not participate in gym, swimming, and other close contact activities that are likely to expose others until 72 hours after treatment has begun or until the lesions can be completely covered.
If you have questions concerning if your child should come to school or can return to school call your school nurse or family physician.